Friday, September 30, 2016

20 Questions tag ~

I was tagged by Alasse ~ Thanks very much! I needed something to post. Haha~

All


1.How long have you been collecting?
Well, it all started in 2005 with my first Pullip (Arietta, who is now named Sayonara) ~ and I actually got my first BJD in 2006, because I'd been hesitating about the price tag for a bit. At that time BJDs were also much less accessible than now, with very few companies and a small range of sculpts.

(read more below the cut)


I managed to dig up this reaaallly old photo of Sayonara from 2005-ish!
2.What do you collect?
I've managed to limit it to Pullips & BJDs, when I was younger I was interested in Barbie and later on I ventured into DDs a few times, but figured they're not for me. I even managed to limit my BJD size to SD and larger only to keep it all consistent!

3.How many dolls do you have?
Embarrassingly, I actually keep a list of sorts of all my dollies, but it's not 100% up to date.
29 Pullips &  31-ish BJDs (debating counting heads or not..) Whenever I visit my room at home I'm always overwhelmed by my own collection. LOL.
I keep my BJDs in my closet and call it my Chinese elevator.
Then you get pictures like this xO so crowded!
4.Which of your collections are you the most proud of? Why?
I think I can be proud of each and every doll, or I'd rather sell them. I try to control my collection this way!

5.Which single doll cost you the most money? (Relatively and literally)
It must have been my Unoa Zero girl, Océane! I paid around $1500 at the time for the full set with all the face plates! So worth it though, Unoas have a very special charm!

Shh... Shh...


6.Which doll line is your favorite to collect and why?
Since I don't collect that many 'lines' I'll just describe what type of doll I prefer. I think unique sculpts do it for me, for girl sculpts I am picky about the facial proportions and lips and expression or apparent personality. The same for boys, and I tend towards the 'not-pretty' boys. ~

7.What made you want to collect dolls?
Ever since I was young I'd been interested in dolls, but at the time the only ones available were fashion dolls. Later on I became more interested in Japanese things and when I discovered BJDs it seemed like all my interests had come together and were combined into one awesome thing!

8.Which is your most wanted doll right now?
I've actually been trying to complete my evil plan for another set of twins ~ however I can't order at this moment! I won't spoil who they might be though.

9.Which of your previously most wanted dolls do you have now?
That would probably have to be my Unoa Zero as well as some Soom dollies :3

10.What is the most dolls you have gotten at once?
I honestly don't know, perhaps 2 or 3 BJDs at once?

11.Which is your least favorite doll?
This is a question I only consider when I want to sell dolls, I guess for now I'll have to say it'll be my Oasisdoll Jadeite, because I've only had her for a short while, and I wasn't at all satisfied with my face-up work for her!

12.Which of your dolls has the best story (in your life and in theirs?)
I think my Luts Juri '05 had one of the better stories, since she arrived all damaged, modded and scratched up and somehow I managed to fix her up and I adore her! She looks totally different from other Juri sculpts and I don't mind her imperfections. She was also one of my first fix-up projects :3

Gaia~ I'll actually redo her face-up the next time I visit home!
13.What do you do with your dolls?
I mostly enjoy photography, face-ups and making various props and jewelry. I'd also love to finally start on some diorama projects, I have a whole stash of doll furniture in my home that I should finally use for my Pullip house that I intend to build some day!

I also want to kind of shoot some short photo stories featuring my BJDs! I'll put some one shot scenes I've done before below:

A confrontation
A stabbing
Something about love
14.Are there any other collections that you want to start?
Well, I also have a re-ment and kawaii stickers collection. To be honest I was kind of tempted to start a mini dolls collection of sorts, but that'd be too insane! I really need to stop adding to my collections!

15.Which of your dolls would you most like to be? Why?
I quite love my doll Ièn, she is kind of a representation of a tragedy and a very underrated beauty (how many Limhwa Human sculpts have you seen around?) ~ I love her sad and tender expression, she seems to have a story inside of her.

Ièn

This photo could be part of her story, I imagine!
16.Do people know that you collect dolls/toys?
I don't generally share this hobby with people around me unless they're my close friends. I don't try to hide it either, but I do think it's hard to explain this hobby to someone unless they're actually interested in it!

17.Does your family support your collection?
My mom likes it now, but at first she thought it was rather a waste of money. She appreciates what I do with my dollies nowadays though! She also got super excited when I showed her the Youtube review Omochacrush did for one of my custom Pullips! 

18.What was your first doll/toy collection that you can remember? Do you still have them?
When I was young I liked Barbie! I don't have the first one I got any more I believe, because Barbies don't really age that well. I think it was a gymnast Barbie my aunt had gotten for me for my birthday!

19.Which doll started each of your collections?
Sayonara started my Pullip collection and I believe I had an MSD girl who started my BJD collection. I don't own that doll any more!

20.What is your favorite place to shop for dolls?
I'd have to say it's taobao, they just have everything for cheap! Also, Asian doll parties are the best! You always find unique items at low prices~

Thanks for reading!

I'm bad at tagging people so I'll tag any one who reads this entry! Ahahaha~

14 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't knew you had such a big collection!! Your Unoa Zero was so pretty!
    You truly do a lot in the hobby, I really admire people who can do faceups, props, sew and completely customize dolls by themselves! I'm sure your dioramas will be awesome too!
    I wish I would dare to buy from Taobao! Hahaha!
    Loved reading this :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can't post too many pictures since they're all in my home town! Thanks~
      I also admire you, because you can sew! That is one skill I never got good at!

      Why don't you use an agent to buy from taobao? :3 doll stuff is generally amazing and I'm sure people here can recommend you tons of good shops! I know I can!

      Delete
  2. Great read!! Love your collection of BJDs and all your pullips :D!!!
    And yay taobao!!! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ~
      and yay taobao indeed XO they have it all!!

      Delete
  3. Loved reading more about your collection and collection history. I actually had no idea you had so many dolls but I adore the "Chinese Elevator" shots. It was such a treat to see everyone together even if they all looked a bit close for comfort!

    Unoa Zero doesn't seem that popular but I've always thought that was one of the more interesting sculpts. I've debated a few times myself about getting one of the Unoa heads (Sist) from the MP and hybriding onto my MNF body. I can never remember that shop that sells them ... somewhere in Japan.

    I love your customs and face ups for your dolls. I wish I could be that good at it. You and Fantasywoods do really nice face up work. It'll be a long time (if ever) that I get to that level!!

    I hope you get a chance to do your photo stories. I love the ones you've posted here. I love photo stories. That's what I used to do for my Sims. Part of the reason I got into collecting dolls was to do that outside of the "pixel" world but it's hard, just getting props together and figuring out diorama set ups etc. It can get pricey too!

    Thanks for doing the tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, it's easy to forget I have so many when they're so far away! They're all super crammed into my closet, to the point that I don't know what to do if I get any more BJDs!

      Ohh, you should get a Unoa, they're so cute! There's a new dealer for them recently called UnoAlchemy! Check them out!

      I don't think I am nearly good enough to meet my own standards, but I do enjoy doing Pullip face-ups very much, as you can get away with lots of things that wouldn't work on BJDs!

      It's true, it costs a lot more time, effort and money! But it is fun, and I look forward to seeing more of your dioramas and props also~~ Thanks very much x3 I love doing 'human-like' or 'not-pretty' shots too.

      Delete
  4. Well, that was an amazingly huge collection, love it! :D It was interesting to learn more about you and your collection, so thanks for doing the tag. Gaia is so beautiful and I think I need to look more at those Unoa dolls. Such a wonderful face. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I hope you can also do it!

      It's always nice to learn of new companies and sculpts!

      Delete
  5. That was an interesting read Irene. I always enjoy finding out the reason's why others collect BJD's, though most beginnings are similar. Can you tell me the boy sculpt you have in the "confontation" photo? He's very handsome and I like the tan resin. You certainly have some gorgeous dolls.
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Xanadu! It's always interesting and I think many people have quite a long history with dollies!

      He is a Limhwa (now EOSdoll) To-L (Tuel) ~ this tiny company also makes small dollies!

      Delete
    2. Ah now I understand why he's so handsome! :) I have seen a few Limhwa dolls, and they have all be so gorgeous.

      Delete
    3. Yeah~ They're one of my favorite companies actually! They're so small and not very popular though!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing Irene, I love reading them. Wow, I never knew you had so many BJDs! I'm curious to what sculpts they are. ^-^ I can definitely related to some of the topics you mentioned, especially sharing this hobby with people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I keep a profiles section over on the side bar of this blog, but it's somewhat outdated~ I'm too lazy to update it! ~ x3
      I think sharing it with a few close friends is really what makes any hobby great!

      Delete