Thursday, June 29, 2017

The lady from the 1960s

Sorry for being so quiet lately!
I was rather busy with finals, and I got some additional part-time jobs on top of that @_@ ~ but now the summer holidays have begun, I finished my semester and have traveled off to my hometown! x3

Still being jetlagged though, I haven't been able to do that much!

Something interesting that Alasse lead me to do was to have a look at my mom's old Barbie once again, and share some photos this time!



So here's the story:
My mom bought this doll in the 60s, back when Barbie was fairly new. She saved all of her money for a long time, as this doll was about 10 Guilders (old currency) at that time! Very pricey. She finally bought her one and only Barbie. She took care of her very well, even keeping her hair in pristine condition. Her grandmother made clothes for the doll too at one point (which she also gave to me!).
After her mom passed away, she found the doll in storage and gave it to me.



 I simply love the old box designs! Timeless!


There she is! The lovely model herself, she stood the test of time fairly well. I believe she is one of the ponytail bathing suit models, though unsure of which!

Her hair is still so soft and shiny! What a fabulous girl.

Though I'm unsure as to why she has white lipstick. Was this ever a thing in fashion? xD;!
As you can see, her torso also has a more pinky color than her other limbs. Besides that, she also has slightly sticky arms =( and her legs appear kindof cracked all over. Which makes me sad. But at the same time, it makes me wonder how well our current dolls would age?

She comes with 2 booklets, the illustrated booklet being the absolute awesomest!

I quite love these old illustrations! The retro clothing is amazing. The style is just perfect.
I also quite miss a less pink and more colorful and varied Barbie!

Thanks for checking!

19 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a real treasure! And the doll looks amazingly well. It must be worth a lot of money now. And the booklet is full of fantastic illustrations. Pity contemporary dolls aren't of such great quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It's so nice to own a piece of actual history, haha :D
      I also wish that contemporary dolls would be more like this ~~ I think mass production really did a number on Barbie!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, this was very interesting to read! That booklet! *o* ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting to see such well kept old Barbie. She is beautiful, I love the colours on the older designs, not as much pink would be great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. x3 I think so too! I also remember a while ago barbie went back to real fashion designs. However now it seems they're back at bright pink XDD;;

      Delete
  4. Oooooh wow. Thank you for taking the time to post this. Aren't the boxes wonderful? I really wish the boxes were like that still. There is such a vintage feel to them too plus the illustrations are amazing. The booklets that came with her are so amazing. Love the illustrations and it's so colourful too.

    The doll looks in great condition for her age! I actually haven't seen one before with white lipstick! I wonder if that was a thing back then too. She truly is such a beautiful vintage keepsake.

    Have you seen the vintage reproduction Ken dolls? They looked so different back then than the Ken of today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, the boxes should be remade like this for sure!
      I'm also wondering about the white lipstick, as most dolls from this release time appear not to have that!

      I also love the Ken illustrations, and I remember seeing a few old Kens, he looked way younger, didn't he? XD

      Delete
  5. Wow, what a well kept treasure! My Barbies (and My Little Ponies) looked horrible compared to this one. xD
    I was a bit surprised by the white lipstick, but it's nice seeing something so different to newer Barbie dolls. I also really love that box! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! My old toys don't look this good either XDD I guess at that time my mom really knew how to treasure her few possessions.
      That also surprised me :3 the older designs are so cool, I really love the 50s vibe from the dresses!

      Delete
  6. I think Barbie was quite a bit more stylish back then too! Love the catalogue Irene, I have old dress patterns that look like they have been drawn by the same artist. Back then, I actually wore a "Lunch Date" dress. LOL!

    Pity about the aging of your girl, they have probably overcome some of these issues you have with your doll. There are significant differences between the vinyls/plastics that were produced back then and those made now. However, I do hope you manage to keep her in reasonable condition for many years to come . . . especially as they link to memories of your grandmother.

    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree on that! Ohh, that sounds amazing! I really wish I could wear those kinds of dresses x3 Do you plan to sew some of those patterns?

      I wonder! I do think the quality is actually surprisingly good, she stood the test of time quite well! Whereas my own newer Barbies have practically melted XD;;;

      I will try to preserve her in a cool, dry place so she can stay pristine.

      Delete
    2. No plans to sew for people, maybe I'll make some 60's dresses for my dolls though. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh, that's a real treasure to have! Such a beauty and those booklets πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ˜ It was great to read and thank you for sharing! And welcome back to the blogging. Sometimes life can be rather busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm also glad to see this pretty lady from time to time.
      Thanks! Haha, but now I have a very lengthy summer holiday~~

      Delete
  8. Omg the illustrations are absolutely amazing!!! It's such a shame they no longer do this with our current Barbie dolls (at least I don't think so).
    Barbie has changed so much but I still think she tries to be a good role model- there's a Barbie doll for practically every career!

    Your moms doll is beautiful and I think the story you provided with it makes it even more me
    I hope you've been doing well and good luck with your finals, I'm sure you aced them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you~ :3 I still think she tries, especially with the updated body types and whatnot. But some of the Games are still ridiculous. Haha!

      Thanks so much! In fact, I did!! :3 :3

      Delete
  9. Awww, the photos are all down, sadly! Maybe you can upload directly on blogger? That never fails me! I think this is a lovely story and I hope that doll stays with you a lot of time.
    I'm curious about seeing her, and the illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Photobucket being evil!
      I will try to update them ASAP :3

      Delete